Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Big News

A few weeks ago we decided to tell our families some very big news. We might sound crazy, but here goes. After Rick graduates with his bachelor's degree in May 2009, Rick is joining the Air Force. Now you might be thinking, "Why in the heck are they doing that?" Good question...



Rick has always thought off and on about joining the Air Force to become a linguist. Over the years, his thoughts always seemed to come back to joining the Air Force. He had mentioned this to me while we were dating, but I honestly didn't take him too seriously. After we got married, he still kept talking about it and I started to get worried. There was no way I was going to be a military wife, let alone send my husband off to the battle fields.

So, unbeknownst to Rick, I decided to pray and fast about this silly idea of joining the Air Force. I figured I could receive my answer that we were NOT supposed to do that and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Well, to my surprise, I got an answer but not the one I was looking for. It was actually quite a spiritual experience for me. I received my answer loud and clear through various things that happened that very same day. We are supposed to join the military.

I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my husband would be a military man. But I know in my heart of hearts that for whatever reason, Heavenly Father needs us to do this. I am actually quite proud of Rick for having such a noble pursuit in life. I know he will do great things. I take comfort in the fact that I know for myself that this is His plan for us and that all will be well.

So my friends, we will be leaving California for 4 years and traveling who knows where. We'll leave in about a year and a half; I want Owen to be at least a year old when we do leave. Then he will be just old enough to start kindergarten when we get back.

So yes, that is our big - no, huge - news. Rick's thinking about a career path in linguistics or finance (since his bachelor's degree will be in business-finance). If anybody knows about this at all, please let me know. We need to start doing our homework so that we are clear about what we need to do.

5 comments:

McKenzie said...

That's SOOOO wonderful/exciting! As Long as you PROMISE to come back to CA :) I Like your blog! but I got my background from this blog, http://cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com/
There are some sweet ones!
So happy for you guys!

Rebecca M said...

Congrats...and good luck with everything! I'm sure it will be an adventure!

Ashley K said...

Hey, random, I came across your blog today from Rebecca's blog. I'm an old friend of rick's AND my husband just so happens to be in pilot training right now in the air force. I was just like you, not so into the military thing. I absolutely LOVE IT! So anyway, if you have any questions let me know and we can get some info to you or any phone numbers you need. By the way, I'm Ashley. lol.

Marie said...

I am excited for you now you can join the ranks of the military wife!! Its not any easy job but im sure your up for it!! Who knows maybe we will wind up being stationed close to each other!! Alot of army posts have air force bases right next door. Or who knows we might wind up being stationed at an airforce base.

Totally Hess said...

How noble of Rick! What a great guy! And how great of Sherri to fast and pray about it. So has he already enlisted?