Monday, June 30, 2008

My Baby Has Hair!

So today I stayed home from work and went to the doctor's. I already had an appointment set up for Wednesday, but a few things were bothering me that I didn't want to wait to get checked. Anyone who's seen me lately knows that I've got lots swelling going on. On its own, swelling is a completely normal side-effect of pregnancy. At my last two appointments, my blood pressure has been slightly elevated, but not enough where they were concerned. Well, last weekend I was at work setting up my classroom when I saw "spots". It was as if I was getting a migraine and my vision was all wacky, but no headache came. I thought it was kind of strange, but honestly didn't think too much of it. I figured I'm pregnant, and lots of wacky things happen to you when your pregnant. Besides, it was a really hot day and so maybe I was just lightheaded or something.

This weekend I was reading from my pregnancy book and I came across a section about pre-eclampsia, a rare but serious condition that occurs during pregnancy. As I read the symptoms, I started getting a little nervous.

Symptoms include: swelling, high blood pressure, vision changes (seeing spots was mentioned specifically), and a few other things.

I decided to call-in to work today and go see the doctor instead, just to be on the safe side. I expressed my concerns to my doctor and after evaluating me he does NOT think that I have pre-eclampsia. He said that the type of swelling I have improves after putting my feet up and lying down whereas with pre-eclampsia it usually stays the same no matter what you do. Also, he said that women with pre-eclampsia have a certain "look" about them, and I didn't have that "look". My blood pressure was slightly high, so he ended up doing an ultrasound to check on the baby.

Little Owen is perfectly healthy and his body is measuring right on schedule - 31 weeks! His head, however, is measuring 33 weeks. Yikes! It was so great having another ultrasound. I got to see how much he's grown since the last one and guess what... my baby has hair! I feel like such a proud mama already. My Dr. said he will probably have a LOT of hair by the time he's born, which doesn't surprise me since Rick had quite the head of hair at birth. My Dr. also estimated that Owen will probably weigh about 8 - 8 1/2 lbs. when he's born. I hope he's right - any bigger than that and I might have some issues.

Oh, and on a side note I ended up FLUNKING my glucose test. Go figure. I have to go in for a more extensive blood test on Wednesday. However, my Dr. said that according to my glucose level from the test, the chances of it being a false positive are quite high. Based on that alone, he doesn't think that I have gestational diabetes. But then again, this is me we're talking about, so anything's possible. I go in for a regular check-up next week to monitor my blood pressure. Whew! I think that's it for now...

3 comments:

Donovan and Tawny Holloway said...

Oh my Goodness! Well i guess it could always be worse we are glad things are still working out well just a little longer you're almost there and we are so excited!

McKenzie said...

Glad everything's OK. You're so good to take extra precaution :)

Marie said...

uI am glad to hear that you and baby owen are well:) I hate those stupid glucose test:( Sucks that you had to take that longer one. No fun when they tell a pregnant lady that she cant eat. A man must have thought that one up:) I cant believe how close it is:) So exciting!!