Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Owen and the Family Secret

 My dad's side of the family has a long standing tradition of getting together for a potluck dinner in December. Every year, Santa makes a special trip down from the North Pole to visit our party and bring each child an early Christmas present.

There is something special about my dad's family... some of the men work for Santa.  Sometimes Santa gets very busy in December and asks a cousin or uncle to help him deliver presents to our party. He also asks them to dress up as him so that the children won't be disappointed.  He even loans them his special red suit - it's authentic.
 This year when Owen's name was called to sit on Santa's lap and get his present, Owen was a little bit scared. He refused to sit on Santa's lap and was on the verge of tears.  But then something happened... As Santa was talking to Owen, he looked up at Santa with wide eyes and just stared.

Then Owen got a big grin on his face. He was visibly calmer when he took his gift from Santa and then went and sat down so the next kid could have his turn.
 Before he started opening his gift, he turned to me and said, "Mom, is that MICHAEL?" He was not upset or sad - he was just curious and I think he thought it was funny.

I replied, "Of course not! That's Santa!" Inside I was DYING!!What the heck?? He's only 3!!

He did not seem satisfied with that answer.

He smilingly asked me again, "Mom, is that Michael?"

At this point, I was really scrambling. What if I say the wrong thing and ruin his belief in Santa forever??  At 3 years old, would he understand about the family secret? He's a smart boy, so I decided to try him.

I explained to him that yes, that was Uncle Michael but that Michael is Santa's helper. Michael works for Santa and is one of his elves. Santa asked Michael to deliver the presents that night at the party.

He replied, "Oh!" and laughed.  Then he opened his gift - a Batman helicopter, which was the one consistent thing he'd asked for from Santa.  It did not disappoint.

 Later that night when he saw Uncle Michael, he said, "Hey Michael, you were Santa, huh? haha That's so silly!"
Pictured: Lynnlee, Papa Blue Eyes, Owen, Sherri, Santa, Jonathan, Rick, Lexie, Julie & Rachael

Whew!! I dodged a bullet there...............

0 comments: