Owen always freaks out when I go take a shower (he's still dealing with separation anxiety), so I try to take my showers at night when he's already in bed. However, sometimes by the time I get Owen in bed I'm ready for bed, too.
This exact instance happened the other night. I went to bed without showering (gasp!). I figured that the next morning I'd try to distract him with his favorite Mickey Mouse cartoon and hope for the best.
However, Owen woke up with a fever, cough and runny nose. I knew there was no way he'd let me take a shower now.
Instead, I quickly gave myself a sponge bath and washed my hair in the kitchen sink. It was definitely not relaxing in any way, but it got the job done.
I started thinking about all the things I do differently now that I'm a mom.
Before I was a mom, I never set foot out of the house without putting on my make-up.
Before I was a mom, I never wore open toed shoes unless my toenails were perfectly polished.
Before I was a mom, I never went to bed without taking a shower.
Before I was a mom, my outfits were perfectly coordinated and accessorized, even if I was just going to the grocery store.
Before I was a mom, my focus was me, me, me.
Before I was a mom, I never knew the meaning of real love.
Even though I might miss those perfectly polished toes or luxurious nightly showers sometimes, I wouldn't change my life one bit. I will gladly give up those things because it means that I am a mom.
Clutter Rehab is back new and improved!
4 months ago




2 comments:
Really beautifully written. What a gift from God to be given a spirit to love and nuture. You are a great example Sheri!
Very well put.
Post a Comment